This is Part 21 of the “31 Days of Healthy Living” series.
It’s still snowing outside.
And aside from walking around the craft store with my sister and a grande mocha au lait, I really didn’t do much today.
I didn’t feel like doing much either.
This included cooking (gasp!)
So instead I just bought some rice wrappers, bundled them all up–nice and tight–, threw on some comfy clothes and called it a day.
Just like sushi, spring rolls can serve up whatever flavors you fancy.
Shrimp? Bean sprouts? Steamed asparagus? Tofu?
Whatever your heart so desires.
It makes for a quick, nutritious dinner when you’d rather be lounging around the house in your pj’s because it’s storming outside.😉
(It also makes for a fun addition to a snacking plate…
…super bowl app’s, anyone?)
Shrimp Spring Rolls
I’ve made countless variations on the spring roll over the years, but this is one of my most favorite. It really doesn’t get much simpler than this.
I also like to ask people ahead of time what they want stuffed into their spring roll. Variety is everything, and people like getting creative and personal. Honey roasted peanuts, spinach and avocado was an exceptionally delicious choice from last time. Have fun with putting these together!!
- 6 spring roll wrappers (most often found in the international section)
- mixed greens
- 18 small shrimp
- 1/2 avocado, sliced thin
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 carrot, julienned
- cilantro or mint
- soy sauce or peanut sauce for dipping
- In a shallow dish, pour about an inch of hot water. One at a time, place spring roll wrapper in hot water for 20-30 seconds until it is soft and pliable. Carefully remove from water and place on damp paper towel. Blot with another paper towel and precede to stuff it.
- Layer each wrapper with lettuce, 3 shrimp, 1 slice of avocado, bell pepper strips, carrot strips and a handful of cilantro or mint. Tightly roll up ends towards middle and then roll from bottom to top, holding firmly. Continue this with each wrap.
QUESTION: Do you like sushi and spring/summer rolls? What are your favorite flavor combinations?