One of my best friends during my freshman year of college used to make us bowls of instant oatmeal with globs of peanut butter and chocolate chips during finals week. It was like eating a giant, ooey gooey, completely irresistible peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.
It tasted absolutely naughty.
The good news is that it really wasn’t.
These days, I like to use old fashioned oats in place of the instant for a slower release of glucose (aka, sugar) into the body. This not only tastes better. You’ll feel full and satisfied much longer, which can help control those pesky food cravings later on in the day.
I also use natural peanut butter.
A dash of sea salt.
And some dark chocolate chips.
It tastes absolutely naughty.
The good news is that it really isn’t.
PB, Banana and Chocolate Chip Oatmeal (in a jar)
The flax is optional, but it does add a healthy dose of omega 3 fats to your day. Enjoy with a cup of your favorite coffee. This is a sure way to jump start a very productive morning. 😀
- 1 almost empty peanut butter jar
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. crushed flax
- dash of sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. dark chocolate chips
- Set aside the peanut butter jar.
- Bring soy milk + 1/4 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add cinnamon, oatmeal, banana, flax, and salt; reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking for 5-7 minutes. Stir every minute or so.
- Once oatmeal is to desired consistency, transfer to the peanut butter jar and top with chocolate chips. Enjoy!
QUESTION: What are you favorite oatmeal add-ins?