“Join me as I eat my way through a week of new breakfasts. Thanksgiving marks the finale, which means I have one full week to try a new breakfast each and every morning. It could be delicious (it could be outrageous!) But the whole idea is to just have fun.”
It all started with a tub of chobani.
Well. Two tubs, thanks to the kind people over at Chobani, who asked me if I’d be interested in sampling their 32-oz containers of the wonder yogurt.
I considered just eating a tub of the thick creamy yogurt for breakfast and calling it a day, but…sigh…I resisted.
Let’s keep it balanced, Sarah. Let’s keep it interesting.
Instead, I decided to mess up the kitchen with some inspiration.
(we can’t all be clean cooks!)
A tub of chobani.
A bunch of overripe bananas.
A hungry girl.
Breakfast was born.
This does take some morning time, but the good news is that the individual slices freeze and reheat well. Which means you can (a) cook it way ahead of time, (b) freeze them individually and (c) take them out whenever the mood strikes.
That’s what I call success.
The resulting loaf was sweet (but not too much) and dense, while also being jam packed with walnuts.
I know there’s yogurt inside the loaf, but I simply couldn’t help myself. I added another good scoop, a few slices of sweet banana, and a sprinkle of cinnamon to call it complete.
Completely new breakfast. Completely satisfied girl. Completely happy. Don’t you just love mornings?
Banana Breakfast Loaf
Don’t equate this with your beloved banana nut bread. It’s a completely different twist on your old favorite. Much more dense and hearty, this bread will keep you going all morning long. The yogurt replaces any need for oils, but I like to add walnuts for a healthy dose of omega-3 fats. Enjoy a slice with a side of fruit, a dish of yogurt and/or a glass of milk.
This is best served warm from the oven, but you can easily reheat the individual slices in the microwave as well. Enjoy!
- 1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup crushed flax
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup regular oatmeal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2-3)
- 3/4 cup 0% chobani yogurt (or other greek yogurt)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, flax, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, oats, and cinnamon in a large bowl with a whisk.
- Combine mashed banana, yogurt, vanilla extract, and eggs; add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Spoon batter into an 8 x 4-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
QUESTION: What is your favorite yogurt?