3 Things NEVER (EVER!) Discussed At My Family’s Dinner Table
3 Things Which Will Always Make Me Happy
- Early morning runs.
- Coffee with soymilk (no sugar, please.)
3 Things That Most People Don’t Know About Me
- I’d rather be running.
- I once worked a job for one(!!) day before quitting.
- I’m very laid back until I’m in the kitchen, and then I’m
kind ofvery much a control freak.
3 Things That Make Everyone Happy At The Dinner Table
- Tomato Sauce.
3 Types Of People Who Will Love Tofu Parmigiana
(In other words…)
(…this means you.)
Tofu Parmigiana—modified from an original version that appeared in Eating Well Magazine. (serves 4)
Once again, I recommend freezing the tofu before using in this recipe. Freezing will firm up the tofu, creating a more meaty texture which most people find very appealing. Simply press as you normally would, freeze overnight, and dethaw when you’re ready to use it. Serve this meal with your favorite green vegetable, such as sauteed kale, spinach or a side salad. ENJOY!
- 1/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, pressed and patted dry
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cup prepared marinara sauce, divided (I use Del’ Amore Original)
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 8 oz. whole wheat spaghetti, cooked
- Combine breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning in a shallow dish. Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 steaks and pat dry. Sprinkle both sides of the tofu with garlic powder and salt (if using) and then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their juices and begin to brown, 4 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat 3/4 cup of the sauce.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the tofu steaks and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn over and sprinkle with Parmesan. Spoon the mushroom mixture over the tofu, pour 3/4 cup of the unheated marinara over the mushrooms and scatter mozzarella on top. Cover and cook until the sauce is hot and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
- Place tofu parmigiana over bed of pasta, scoop some of the extra heated sauce on top and sprinkle with basil. Serve and ENJOY!
QUESTION: What are 3 things that will always make you happy?